I painted a tree

Some pine trees made by yours truly

I love forests. And I love trees. Wish I had a small cottage in the woods, with a secret little lake and a meadow nearby. Even though I love living in the big city, I’ve always had this little dream of living in a house one day. I envy the ones who do, but don’t know if I would be able to pull it off myself? Am I in love with the idea itself, or would I actually enjoy maintaining a house? Hm.

Here’s a pine tree study for you. It’s a nice complement for that short comic thingie I’m working on, the one with the fox, hence the loose little fox in the thumbnail seen above ◠◡◠
Done in Photoshop using a Cintiq. The colored version may have turned out a little flat, not sure yet. And the shapes are pretty much the way I always draw pine trees. Probably because I didn’t really use any references other than googling forest real quickly. I’m bad with copying photos, I wish it wouldn’t bore me.

Making some further style explorations would be smart I think.  And I wanna be a smartist, not just an artist. Hehehe ◠◡◠

Hope you’re having a nice evening ♡
I just got home after Stockholm Sketch Tuesday, which I can tell you more about in another post. Now I’m off to chill and cuddle some kittehs!

11 Comments

1. Marcel 27 April, 2016 at 16:57

Hey Andrea!, I’m glad you posted one last entry on your old blog. otherwise I might have missed your new one!

It is a really nice study / style-exploration. The clear shapes work well and I can see how it will work in the short comic you metnioned ( looking forward for mor info! ) I don’t think the coloured one is flat. The colors remind me a bit of an illustration right out of a older childrens book. Yet the more modern style keeps it fresh for me.
    It is good to see that your new blog keeps you motivated! I always love to see your work. It makes me jealous, which in turn gives me a boost to my motivation :D

1. Andrea 28 April, 2016 at 13:02

Heeey Marcel! Thanks for coming here :D

Thank you, glad you liked it! Had lots of fun painting it, even though it’s just a tree, hehe. I’m glad that it feels like something fitting a children’s book. Would be awesome to make something like that one day – just need a proper story!

Oh don’t be jealous :D It’s just same old – hard work and dedication. It’s good that it spurs you though, that’s partly my purpose with blogging :)

1. Marcel 30 April, 2016 at 13:07

I would absolutly buy a book illustrated by you! I always wanted to illustrate my own stories, and I have lots of ideas.. but my writing skills are really bad I think… which is why I never did anything like that… But I figured it is the same as painting. Start small! So now I’m working an a very short story in my freetime. Maybe that’s the way for you too? start with a very small story.. I don’t know, a day in the foxes life maybe, and go up from there ?

Haha don’t wory, it’s the good kind of jealousy :) The one that says: with enough effort, my work can be as expressive and alive as hers!

1. Andrea 2 May, 2016 at 13:42

Aww :D

Oh but that sounds awesome! You’ve come far by just having the ideas. Perhaps you can hire someone to help you with the writing? A person who corrects the texts and improves the copy.

Yeah, true, starting small is definitely the best approach. The super short comic I’m painting, will only contain two panels and two sentences, lol. That will do :D I have another short story after that one, that I want to explore. Which will be longer!

Fair enough :D Haha!

Hey, by the way, it’s hard to comment on your blog. You have to be logged in on google in order to do that, is there a setting to change that?

1. Marcel 2 May, 2016 at 22:28

I thought about that too.. I have so many ideas waiting to be told.. it’s hard to decide with what to start, to be honest… Luckylie, a friend of mine is a passionate writer and she wants to help me out a bit. I’m gonna be very busy soon :)
            Ah, thank you for reminding me of that! I wanted to change that for a while now but always forgot about it. Went straight ahead to enable comments without account :) Thanks!

2. Sergio Ar 29 April, 2016 at 23:11

whenever i have the time i paint something from nature :D nature is beautiful to do you nailded that tree is so cool :D nice work andrea :D

1. Andrea 2 May, 2016 at 13:23

Aww thanks! :) Same here, nature is some of the best sources of inspiration too!

3. Andreas 3 May, 2016 at 21:22

Hi Andrea!
    Do you have any tips for drawing trees? I love nature and would love to be able to draw/paint nature scenes, but I just can’t seem to wrap my head around how to transfer such a complex object as a pine tree (millions of needles!) to paper… Your trees look great though. :)

1. Andrea 5 May, 2016 at 22:58

Hey! :)
      Thank you!
      Oh I’m not an expert on trees, but I’d love to make a post about what my thought process is. A fast tip would be that I try to see trees as big chunks, so the stem is one cylinder, branches smaller cylinders, and the foliage is one big chunk of organic volume. Hope that helped a little :) Thanks for the tip, I’ll schedule in a post, and hopefully learn some stuff myself along the way :)

4. Sandra 6 May, 2016 at 07:52

Shit vad häftigt att få se processen. Vad grym du är!

1. Andrea 9 May, 2016 at 21:21

Men åh, tack snälla! :D Och va kul att du tittade in här!